Scope of Work
Development of requirements for protection of water resources in recreation zones of the Ararat basin management area of Armenia
The Advanced Science & Partnerships for Integrated Resource Development (ASPIRED) Project funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID) is a 5-year initiative (2015-2020) designed to support sustainable management of water resources in the Ararat Valley through the use of science, innovation and partnerships. The Project is implemented by the Armenian Branch of Mendez England & Associates.
Within the framework of the Project, the ASPIRED supports the Government of Armenia (GOA) in improving water sector legislation. Under this task, the Project will collaborate with the Ministry of Nature Protection (MNP) of Armenia in implementing priority measures for effective management of water resources in the Ararat Basin Management Areas of Armenia, as stipulated in the Government Decision N: 338-N, dated March 31, 2016 on approving the management plan for the period of 2016-2021 for the Ararat basin management area and priority measures.
- Scope of Work
The incumbent in the position of Hydrologist/Hydromorphology Specialist will serve under the general direction of the ASPIRED Project Chief of Party. As part of this Statement of Work, activities will be implemented to provide technical expertise towards improving Armenia’s legislation on protection of water resources in the recreation zones of the Ararat basin management area of Armenia. An Interagency Task force will be established by the ASPIRED Project in collaboration with the Government of Armenia to work on this issue.
The following major tasks are envisaged to be implemented:
- Provide the list of required hydrological and hydro morphological conditions derived from the conditions and requirements defined for recreation zones;
- Conduct a desk study on the requirements defined nationally and worldwide for protection of water resources in recreation zones;
- Present the selected requirements to the MNP as the best suitable for protecting water resources in recreation zones in Armenia;
- Participating in stakeholder presentations and discussions on requirements for protection of water resources in recreation zones, hosted by the MNP.
Unless otherwise specified, reports, documents and other related materials shall be submitted in Armenian and include, but not limited to the following:
- Work plan with activities and implementation timeline for implementation of the SOW for approval (within 5 days upon award of the contract).
- Compilation of the materials related to protection of water resources in recreation zones from the relevant agencies (within 15 days upon award of the contract).
- Analysis of national and international practice on hydrological requirements for protection of water resources in recreation zones (within 22 days upon award of the contract).
- A document providing a set of recommendations on hydrological requirements for protection of water resources in recreation zones for Armenia (within 30 days upon award of the contract).
All documents shall be submitted in electronic version in MS Word and/or Power Point Presentation formats.
- Required Expertise
The applicant shall hold advanced university degree (Master’s or PhD) in the relevant field – hydrology, hydro morphology or any other related field;
- Minimum 5 years of technical work experience in hydrological/hydromorphological assessment and analysis;
- Familiarity with the Armenia’s Water legislation and EU WFD processes, guidelines and requirements;
- Analytical skills and strong attention to details;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Knowledge of the English language is highly desirable.
It is anticipated that the Contract will be awarded in July 2018. The assignments described in the SOW shall be carried out and completed within 2 (two) months after award of the contract.