Scope of Work
Development of a legal package for adopting requirements for protection of water resources in recreation zones of the Ararat basin management area of Armenia.
The Advanced Science & Partnerships for Integrated Resource Development (ASPIRED) Project, funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID), is a 5-year initiative (2015-2020) designed to support sustainable management of water resources in the Ararat Valley through the use of science, innovation and partnerships. The Project is implemented by the Armenian Branch of ME&A.
Within the framework of the Project, the ASPIRED supports the Government of Armenia (GOA) in improving water sector legislation. Under this task, the Project will collaborate with the Ministry of Nature Protection (MNP) of Armenia in implementing priority measures for effective management of water resources in the Ararat Basin Management Areas of Armenia, as stipulated in the Government Decision N: 338-N, dated March 31, 2016 on approving the management plan for the period of 2016-2021 for the Ararat basin management area and priority measures.
Detailed information on the ASPIRED Project activities can be obtained at http://www.aspired.wadi-mea.com
- Scope of Work
The incumbent in the position of Legal Expert will serve under the general direction of the Project Chief of Party. As part of this Statement of Work, activities will be implemented to provide legal expertise towards improving Armenia’s legislation on protection of water resources in the recreation zones of the Ararat basin management area of Armenia. An Interagency Task force will be established by the ASPIRED Project in collaboration with the Government of Armenia to work on this issue.
The following major tasks are envisaged to be implemented under this SOW:
- Assess legal and other technical documents on protection of water resources in the recreation zones in the Ararat basin management area, provided by the stakeholder agencies and ASPIRED team.
- Develop a draft legal package for adoption of government decision on defining the requirements for protection of water resources in recreation zones in the Ararat basin management area, using technical input materials provided by the ASPIRED experts.
- Participate in the meetings and consultations with the stakeholders and address legal issues related to definition of the requirements on protection of water resources in recreation zones.
Unless otherwise specified, reports, decisions/legal acts drafted and other related materials shall be submitted in Armenian language and include, but not limited to the following:
- Prepare and submit work plan with activities and implementation timeline for implementation of the SOW for approval (within 2 days after award of the contract).
- Prepare a draft legal package for adopting the government decision on defining the requirements for protection of water resources in recreation zones in the Ararat basin management area of Armenia, following the requirements of Armenian legislation (July-August 2018, totallevel of effort shallnot exceed 10 days).
- Prepare and deliver presentations to the Interagency Task force and other stakeholders. (July-August 2018, totallevel of effort shallnot exceed 4 days).
All documents shall be submitted in electronic version in MS Word and/or Power Point Presentation formats.
4. Required Expertise
The applicant shall hold advanced university degree (Master’s or PhD) in area of expertise (Law or equivalent in the area of legislation);
- Extensive legal/technical experience, 5 years of technical work experience in conducting similar assessment and analyses, particularly as related to water resources and environment;
- Direct experience of working on and knowledge of the legal framework and ongoing reforms in Armenian water sector;
- Familiarity with the EU WFD processes, guidelines and requirements;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good knowledge of the English language is desirable;
It is anticipated that the Contract will be awarded in July 2018. The assignments described in the SOW shall be carried out and completed within 2 (two) months after award of the contract.