START DATE/ TIME: November 2018
DURATION: Short-term; within 1 year (one) year after award of the contract
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: The incumbent in the position of Hydrobiologist will serve under the general direction of the ASPIRED Project Chief of Party. As part of this Statement of Work, activities will be implemented to provide technical expertise towards improving Armenia’s legislation related to the assessment of self-purification capacity of rivers in Armenia. ASPIRED will establish a working group to work in collaboration with the Government of Armenia.
The incumbent is requested to provide the following services:
– Hydrobiological expertise in development of the method for assessment of self-purification capacity of rivers and its enforcement mechanisms
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Unless otherwise specified, reports, documents and other related materials shall be submitted in Armenian and include but not limited to the following:
– Prepare a work plan with detailed activities and implementation timeline;
– Propose methods, the frequency of measurements, and develop the list of biological elements;
- Participate in field observations on regular basis;
– Obtain information on the river population, plants and organisms in riparian areas from relevant agencies, if there are any, and compile the materials on river ecosystems from relevant agencies;
Meet with the institutions involved in surface water monitoring, particularly related to hydrobiological monitoring;
– Develop survivorship and species-area relationship curves, as needed, to understand the relationship between the ecosystem and environment;
– Work closely with the working group members, especially with the water quality specialist to develop a pollution control method;
– Participate in stakeholder presentations and discussions on assessment of self-purification capacity of rivers of the Ararat Basin Management Area of Armenia, hosted by the MNP.
– Make recommendations on the conditions required for protection and reproduction of endangered species populations. Collect samples and photos and file them for classification, as needed;
– Make recommendations to mitigate the actual or potential environmental impacts on the ecosystem;
– Other tasks related to this Assignment.
- Interim reports on the activities and findings of regular field observations, in accordance with the approved schedule. The report shall include the dynamics of change in hydrobiological parameters, which will be used in the selected method for assessment of self-purification capacity of rivers.
- A set of recommendations on hydrobiological requirements for endangered species exposed to anthropogenic impacts, while identifying the maximum allowable concentration of pollutants for the specific sections of the rivers.
- Final technical input for development of the method for assessment of self-purification capacity of rivers in Armenia.
All documents shall be submitted in electronic version in MS Word, Excel and/or Power Point Presentation formats.
– Advanced university degree (Master’s or PhD) in the relevant field – biology, chemistry or any other related field;
– At least 5 years of technical work experience in biological assessment and analysis;
– Familiarity with Armenian water legislation and EU WFD processes, guidelines and requirements;
– Analytical skills and strong attention to details;
– Excellent writing skills;
– Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
– Knowledge of the English language is highly desirable.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested and qualified candidates should send their CVs to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the specific position title in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website – www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 14 November 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 28 November 2018
ABOUT COMPANY: The Advanced Science and Partnerships for Integrated Resource Development (ASPIRED) Project funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID) is a 5-year initiative (2015-2020) designed to support sustainable management of water resources in the Ararat Valley through the use of science, innovation and partnerships. The Project is implemented by the Armenian Branch of Mendez England & Associates.
ABOUT: Within the framework of the Project, the ASPIRED supports the Government of Armenia (GOA) in improving water sector legislation. Under this task, the Project will collaborate with the Ministry of Nature Protection (MNP) of Armenia in implementing priority measures for effective management of water resources in the Ararat Basin Management Areas of Armenia, as stipulated in the Government Decree N: 338-N, dated March 31, 2016 on approving the 2016-2021 Management Plan and Priority Measures towards effective management of the Ararat Basin Management Area.