REQUIRED SERVICES: Climate Change Analyst
TERM: Short-term October 2018 – May 2019
START DATE/ TIME: October 2018
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: Under the supervision of Basin Management Planning and Environmental Specialist the Climate Change Analyst will implement the following tasks:
Task 1: Compilation and review of meteorological data
Task 2: Analysis of dynamics of change of climatic elements in the Ararat Valley
Task 3: Down-scaling of climate change projections for the Ararat Valley
- – Compiling, reviewing and ensuring data inter-operability/homogeneity for the relevant data of the 7 meteorological stations in the Ararat Valley, namely Ararat, Artashat, Armavir, Urtsadzor, Ashtarak, Yerevan Agro, Yerevan Arabkir, as well as the Aragats high mountainous meteo-station. Providing time-series of the following data for 1961- 2016: (a) precipitation – in the form of snow and rain (daily); (b) monthly air temperature (maximum, minimum, average); (c) snow depth (daily); (d) density of snow cover (ten-day period); (e) wind direction and velocity (daily); and (f) relative and absolute air humidity (daily).
- – Identifying and filling the gaps in data-sets.
- – Analyzing the trends of changes in climatic elements, including in average, maximum and minimum air temperatures, precipitation, relative humidity and winds, based on the time-series of data for 1961-2016 from the above-mentioned eight meteorological stations in terms of baseline period (1961-1990) and analysis period (1991-2016).
- – Analyzing and assessing the climate change projections for Ararat Valley for 2030, 2070 and 2100, on monthly, seasonal and annual basis (against the average of 1961-1990), according to A2 and B2 emissions scenarios for the following parameters: (a) precipitation; (b) air temperature; and (c) natural river flow.
- – Providing a description on the methodology used for the climate change projections down-scaling, i.e. relevant global and regional climatic models applied and scenarios selected.
- – Higher education/academic degree (Master’s degree or PhD) in hydrometeorology/ climatology or relevant field
- – Minimum 3 years of work experience in systematic climate observations and climatic projections (work experience with international programs is an asset);
- – Analytical skills;
- – Computer skills – knowledge of climatic models, as well as ability to work with and process large data-sets;
- – Knowledge of the English Language is highly desirable.
Full Scope of Work can be accessed via link: SoW-Climate-Change-Analyst-Eng_Sep-18-2018
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested and qualified candidates should send their CVs to: email@example.com. Please refer to the specific position title in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website – www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
APPLICATION DEADLINE October 3, 2018, 18:00
ABOUT COMPANY: Mendez England & Associates is a consulting firm in Bethesda, Maryland, USA with nearly 30 years of experience in international development. The primary client of ME&A has been the US Agency for International Development (USAID). For more information about ME&A, please visit: http://www.mendezengland.com.
ABOUT: The Advanced Science & Partnerships for Integrated Resource Development (ASPIRED) Project is a five-year initiative funded by the US Agency for International Development. The objective of the Project is to support sustainable water resource management and the sustainable practices of water users at the core of the water-energy nexus through the use of science, technology, innovation and partnership approaches. The goal is to reduce the rate of groundwater extraction in the Ararat Valley to sustainable levels.
This announcement does not in any way obligate ME&A to award a contract or a purchase order.